Sunday 19 August 2012

Uluru


This morning it took some convincing and a couple of swear words to get Nat out of bed for the sunrise at Uluru, but aren't we glad we did it!!!

Although it was 4 degrees, it was magical ..... Absolutely brilliant. Not a cloud in the sky and the colour show was everything we have been told about.

We made our way back to camp and as promised, I made bacon and scrambled eggs for the family which was the needed bribe to get them out of bed earlier.

I serviced the Prado, we went for a look around the shops & resort and then we decided to head back out to the rock and try to climb it around lunch. On the reluctant advice of the guy at reception after probing him, he said that if the wind died down they might open it.

To cut a long story short, they don't want you climbing it and do everything they can to discourage you, but the choice is yours. All the signs say the rock climb is closed, but they are obliged to open it if it is safe enough. The 3 days prior it was closed due to wind, so I wasn't hopeful but we ventured out for a look anyway with the idea of doing the 10k base walk and then cultural centre.

As we pulled in we saw 2 guys heading up so I thought this I'd my lucky dag and off I went!!  Words can't describe how great this was. I absolutely loved it. It's not for the faint hearted and took every minute of the 1.5hrs, but what a magical place to be.

Once at the top I met the 2 guys who were from New York and we had a good chat and took photos for each other. It was seriously like we had the rock to ourselves. They told me that the lady had just opened the gate as they pulled in so they came up, and I was shortly after. To give you an idea, on the decent I think I passed 80 people so to have the entire summit to myself and a couple of gay New Yorkers was just right place right time....legendary stuff.

The family were happy to see me safe and sound at the bottom after they did the shortened base walk, then we did ice creams and the cultural centre which was cool.  

It was easier to get Nat out for sunset at the rock after she had a few wines, and again, spectacular. We think we liked the sunset better, although you must do both. Pictures just don't do it.

There are a strong international contingent out here, and they are pushy bastards. I literally had the boys lined up for a photo in front of the rock at its reddest when these (I think Italians) just barged in and took the space. Then she took off her hat and started combing her hair, then they wanted to rearrange their position, all the while the rock is going blacker...Nat was squeezing my hand to make sure I didn't say anything and in the end I just said "Hey, I want a photo with my sons, please move"

Even then the rude pricks didn't move so I as good as barged myself in and got a shot. Unbelievable.....it was the same at sunrise also....

To summarise my babbling on, it is a must do destination. For once I accepted the crowdedness (aside from rudeness) because this is an Aussie Icon, and every Australian/or person should experience it. The boys will remember this for their entire lives.

I think I rate it better than Bungle Bungles, but each are amazing in their own right. Either way, you must see both.  

To think this was a last minute trip of 1700klm one way because we had a spare few days. We don't know why it wasn't on our original itinerary. The weather gods were on our side too, it had been cloudy the week prior, but Sunday was perfect for us, then tomorrow is forecast cloudy again. Right time right place.

You certainly could stay here a week or more, there is Kings Canyon, Mt Connor and Kata Tjuta that are close, and numerous things to do around the resort. 2 days was enough for us but it would have been nice to stay longer.

Now we get to do the Oodnadatta Track on our way to The Flinders Ranges. Zander  calls of the Nude-Na-Datta track....again, we would have missed this also.

Another couple of big days in the saddle before Adelaide and my 40th birthday. All good in the centre of Oz.
 
Jase....




 

No comments:

Post a Comment