Saturday 1 September 2012

Start of the Great Ocean Road - Port Campbell


We woke in an excited mood this morning because this part of the journey is one of those areas most people have in their Aussie bucket list.

To be honest I have been a bit grumpy the last couple of days. I think a combination of realising we only have 6 weeks to go, heading east and home, turning 40, and not really wanting this trip to end has gotten the better of me. Once or twice I got short with the boys and that was enough to snap me out of it. Today I am back to SuperDad/Hubby. In saying that Nat made me a crappy coffee this morning so I had to pull her aside and have a whisper in her ear that that sort of stuff just won't be tolerated.

Cold again, although thankfully not raining so we were able to pack up in the dry. Zander made a friend called Alex and as always they were 'besties' within 5 minutes, so it was a small drama to get him in the Prado...it used to be a big drama but he has grown so much on the journey, right before our eyes.

A  funny story I probably should share - Whilst packing up for about the 70th time, SuperDad/Hubby had a spill. On the front of the trailer (on the drawbar) there is a stone guard, behind it are two toolboxes sequentially, then the hard floor which becomes the roof when folded in. To get on the roof to tie down the boys scooters and bikes I need to put one foot on the top of the stone guard, the next on the first toolbox, then the second, and I am up.

Today it didn't work for me.

On the second step I slipped and went ass up onto the roof. Correction, I landed flat on my face so maybe it was boobs up? Skin off my shins through my $8 Big W jeans, and a shitload of pride lost given Nat was watching. She thought this was quite the payback for the coffee conversation...

To make it worse this bloke was watching me wind in and pack away because he likes the hard floor campers.....pure gold. He must have thought I was an absolute dick....

The Grampians were great, we liked it irrespective of the weather. I can see why it is so popular with Melbourneites given its proximity the city and ease of getting around the lookouts etc. The reality is that the Kimberley will become this way some day due to demand. Sealed roads and short walks which really will take away the remote feeling that I am sure the Grampians once had. We are glad we experienced both.

Moving south we realise that Victoria is really a postage stamp in the scheme of Australia, but packed with things to do. So many nice towns, picturesque countryside laden with sheep, dairy farms and canola. Just magic driving and only 100 odd km's between locations.

In Warrnambool we had lunch and made use of a brilliant playground, the best on road so far & the boys were amped. A quick look around town and then we headed east down the infamous Great Ocean Road. We have a week to travel about 250k's which is something outside the square for us.

Before we knew it we had made stops at The Bay of Islands, Martyrs, London Bridge, The Grotto & The Arch, priceless stuff although so close together the boys were becoming irritated getting in and out of the car...

We made it to Port Campbell which is a great little town 12klms west of the 12 Apostles, which we will see tomorrow. After setting up we went to the local bar/cafe and had a couple of drinks including a schooner of Prickly Moses which is locally made near Colac. Nice drop.

The target is Apollo Bay tomorrow and to pack in as much as we can along the way.

Jase



 

No comments:

Post a Comment