Sunday 9 June 2013

Race Day - Ironman Cairns


As usual the boys were up way too early... before 5am.  It didn’t help that Jason was up getting ready for his race and he doesn’t know how to be quite!  Now we know where the boys get it from!  There was no hope of any of our fellow campers getting a sleep in so we got ready to go and watch Jason start his race. 

The day stared out badly with one of our fellow grey nomads telling us off for driving down the wrong way of the caravan park (like there is so much traffic that we are causing any issues!)  Another reason why we are not big fans of caravan parks.  There is always at least one oldie making sure everyone is following the rules!

There was limited space near the swim start so we waited on the esplanade until he came through on his bike.  This is not the best spectator’s race and we knew we wouldn’t see him again until at least 4.30pm back in Cairns on the run leg.  We went back to the camp site and the boys spent the day doing activities, riding their bikes, colouring in and generally driving me crazy!  Just kidding, I must say they were very well behaved and I even got to spend some time reading my book.  They certainly have come a long way since our trip last year.

We ventured back into Cairns to watch Jason run the last little way.  It started pouring with rain but we were well equipped with our rain jackets.  I have to give Zander some credit, he is Daddy’s biggest supporter!  While everyone was hiding from the rain, he was out there along the course making sure he didn’t miss him come past.  We even sat out in the rain along the finish line for about 2 hours waiting for Jason to finish.  It certainly was a struggle dealing with one child who wants to stay and the other who wants to go home!  Mav ended up falling asleep while I was carrying him for about an hour.  Let’s just say I feel  like I have done an Ironman today, my back is killing me!  Mav woke up just in time to whinge more about the rain and finally see Daddy finish!  Thank goodness!

We headed back to camp as soon as Jason was ready to get the two “Feral Merals” to bed.  Z Mann went to bed without a fuss but of course Mav played up big time!  He is definitely a creature of habit that one!  Any change in his routine and he doesn’t like it!

As soon as Jason’s head hit the pillow he was snoring away!  I have never loved my dry, warm bed so much in  my life!

Nat

 

Z Mann pumped, Mav not so much....

No comments:

Post a Comment