Thursday 17 May 2012

Daly Waters Pub arrival

We left King Ash Bay this morning, my Prado is just covered in red dust, it is getting into everything. 600klm's in it will do that and I am amazed at how much it cakes on to everything. You hear the stories but you don't understand until you see it for yourself. I will need a good week when I get back to clean it the way I want it. My wife is now officially a bushie, she hasnt complained once about the dirt, the gates, flies, the mozzies, the humidity, or the repetitiveness of setting & packing up, just the boys and I irritate her sometimes which happens at home anyway.....

We needed fuel and some basic supplies in Borroloola so we stopped in and got some gear. Surprisingly the locals were pretty freindly, all said hello and I didnt feel threatened at all like the stories I had heard.

I learnt from a lady at King Ash Bay that the aboriginals dont pay for freight on fruit and veg so go to their store to get that, and the supermarket alongside to get the rest, so I did. I also got a great coffee there as well which surprised me. Aboriginals everywhere here, as black as black can be, and as I said, quite friendly.

We fuelled up at $1.86 per litre (it was $1.92 yesterday when we came through), loaded up and kept going. All good at Borroloola.

We had about 400klms to Daly Waters so another big day, but there really is nothing to see between unless you are Monte Dwyer chasing the nomads, which we are not so we did the journey all at once. Again the boys were great.

We got here at around 3pm today, have checked into a great spot across the road under a tree, there is barra and beef all you can eat at the pub tonight at 7 so we will be on that and we have already taken the boys for a swim in what was a very clean pool wth all of the other kids....

Since we have been here about another 20 odd vans have come in and the place is chocked. It is really amazing that you don't see a car almost all day then when you get to these places there are so many travellers just for overnight stays...very strange.

Tomorrow we will have a look around at the Stuart Tree and gain some knowledge on the history of the area then push on to Mataranka and Katherine for a few days. Not sure there is a lot to do here so it makes sense, although it is a very unique pub and servo and well worth a look.

Hope to be in Darwin for the State of Origin.

Jase

No comments:

Post a Comment