Tuesday 8 May 2012

Burke and Wills

Today we left Mt Isa bound for Burke & Wills Roadhouse, about a 3 hr drive so not too bad.
We arrived mid afternoon and set up pretty quickly. There was an Irish dude serving at the counter so I had to ask why he was there, and he said he had visa extension issues....they certainly wont find him out here...

I gathered some firewood courtesy of the Irishman from outside his donger...this is a common term they use everywhere in the west that means single persons quarters. He was happy to relenquish it and I had myself an inferno going before too long..I said to swing by for a beer later but he didnt given he finished at 10pm.

We met a great couple from Frankston in Melbourne, Mike and Lisa with their two kids Allie and Jai, I hope my two boys become as well spoken and respectful as these two, they really were great kids and of course Z Mann clung to them like glue...They stuck around for a few drinks around the fire and we hit it off pretty well.

To my surprise they live a couple of minutes from the swim start of IM Melbourne and welcomed us to stay the night before if it made it easier on race morning next year - how good is that!!
Afetr the boys and everyone went to bed (after 10pm the littkle buggers) I had some quiet time to sit by the fire with my black cans and read my book.... for the first time I felt relaxed and content, that was until the drunk Tasmanian came over and wanted to tell me his life story...oh well, you cant win them all....

Maverick seems to be setling a little now, Zander is just a million miles an hour wherever we go but he is starting to get the feel for the gypsie lifestyle.

Jase

No comments:

Post a Comment