Friday 6 July 2012

Eighty Mile Beach - Jason's two bob's worth...

I just wanted to throw my two bob’s worth in on 80 mile beach.

The jury is out for me. From a park perspective they don’t cater for kids, no pool or playground and a similar price to parks that do. The showers are hot which is a bonus and they have home-made bread rolls and cakes in the store which is also cool.

The beach didn’t do much for me. The tide amazingly goes out for miles, I would say at least 1klm at a minimum. When it is in it comes right up to the dunes so you can’t camp anywhere along the beach, not a bonus in my eyes. When the tide is out it reminds me of Redland Bay mud flats, only a greyish white colour sand, when it is in, the first 200m is just a milky grey colour water and you can’t see anything at all, again not that attractive. The beach is littered with shells, which is OK if you like walking the beach and collecting them, but that doesn’t press my buttons - although the boys and Mum loved it. Certainly not something you could do for days on end.

When the tide is at 3 quarter, it is a beautiful beach, the only time you see soft sand without shells you can walk on without thongs, but the tide moves so quickly that it doesn’t last for very long and you are in mud flat type surroundings.

The fishing is meant to be spectacular, but I didn’t have any luck, nor did anyone else that was there. I tried everything but fresh bait and got nothing. I am sure that when they are on the chew it would be great fishing, but not for me this time.

In summary, if you like collecting shells, come here, take your chances with the fish but like everywhere, right time right place, don’t expect much for the kids but the cheesecake is great.

It’s nothing like the sand island beaches we love in QLD, but certainly worth a look. Don’t make it more that 1-2 nights though, I feel that the coral coast will be much more to our QLD liking. Broome beaches were definitely nicer.

Negative Jase out…..

No comments:

Post a Comment