Friday 1 June 2012

North to Kununurra

Today we headed north to Kununurra to restock and stay the night before starting the Kimberley tomorrow. Everyone so far has raved about this town but first impressions arent anything to go on for us. The place is very busy, every caravan park is overpriced & chocked, the shopping centre is packed and only one diesel pump working at the servo.

To add to our frustration, you cant buy full strength beer before 2pm in the Kimberley or Pilbara, there is no cask wine which is great for travelling, and I found out after going back after 2pm and waiting in line that was 20 deep with two cartons of beer and 4 bottles of wine that I was only allowed 1 box and 2 bottles!!!! Unbelieveable.......whats a bloke got to do to get a beer around here???

I seconded a local bloke and befriended him so I could tell the guy at the counter the he was with me - so I ended up getting what I wanted.

In Katherine you cant buy grog before 2pm full stop, in Darwin they ask you for your license so they can scan it to see if you are on the banned list (apparently there are 2500 of them) and it is dear as poison.

I am sure Kunnanurra is a beautiful town when you get used to it, but we are looking forward to taking off to the Bungle Bungles tomorrow, a couple of nights seclusion we hope.

Jase.

1 comment:

  1. Thats what happen when you in the Outback. Some towns do survive
    without Macca's or Woolworths. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete